Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Time is Now

I am not the most spontaneous person in the world. However, I have been recently given an opportunity that I could not pass up. Right now I am typing this from Manila, Philippines.

I boarded a plane yesterday at 11AM in LAX. It was a difficult goodbye because I feel so guilty for leaving my mom and my dad at home by themselves for 6 months. But I think what really hit me hard was that on Saturday my dad's side came over to my house and I could see my grandma's eyes water. It was really heart wrenching because I know as time goes on I will have less and less time to spend with my older family members. I don't know if it was the Johnny Walker or the myriad of Chinese films but periodically throughout the flight from LAX to Hong Kong I would be overwhelmed with sadness when I realized I would be gone for so long. Then I thought of how little 6 months is compared to refugees who left their homes not knowing how much time would pass before they would see their loved ones again... some have been separated for decades and I realized the luxuries that I have been afforded in life. I am going to try to call home once every couple of days.

No comments: